Thursday, January 17, 2013

resolutions

i don't do new year's resolutions.  they're dumb.  because if i honestly want to make a change in my life, i shouldn't waste time by waiting till january 1 to do it.  i can start making changes TODAY if i want to.

also, people have a tendency to beat themselves up if they slip.  and then they just give up all together.  news flash:  change takes time.  research shows that it takes at least 30 days to create a new habit.  so, you slipped up?  big freaking deal.  start again tomorrow.  or even later today.  the most successful people in the world didn't give up when they didn't get it right the first time, so get over it.  we're human.  we make mistakes.  perfection is unattainable, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't try.  (insert cheesy cliche:  shoot for the moon.  if you miss, you land among the stars.)

anyway, this year i made an exception.  i guess i just needed some time to mentally prepare myself for the changes i wanted to make.  i couldn't just wake up one day and decide to change--i needed to build up to the impending life changes.  

it is important to note that i did not make my resolutions in august and then wait till january.  i decided mid-december to get my act together and then put my plan into action in january.

one of my resolutions was to start a blog.  here we are.  success!

my biggest resolution, however, is to lose weight.  at 252 pounds, i am the largest i have ever been, and i simply cannot allow myself to gain more weight.  my clothes don't fit the way they used to...i can barely zipper most of my pants.  it's disgusting and frustrating.

my desire to lose weight is driven by multiple factors: my health, my self-esteem, and my desire to have a romantic relationship.  judge me all you want for those reasons (except for the health--that's a no-brainer). but the "why" motivates me to the "how," and i can't afford to do nothing anymore. 

this is what i've decided to do to take better care of myself:

1. cut soda out of my diet.  this has not been easy.  i've still had a sprite here or there and some coke zero.  but the amount i consume now is IONS less than what i was drinking.

2.  stop eating fast food.  chick-fil-a doesn't count.  but mcdonald's and burger king?  their food is delicious, but i can't continue to consume that amount of calories.

3.  eat more fruit and less carbs.  i'm sill working on this.  but grapes and strawberries are freaking DELICIOUS!

4.  exercise.  my workout plan is simple: get to the gym and move.  sometimes i'll do 30 minutes on the bike or the elliptical.  sometimes i use my zumba favorites playlist and dance like an idiot by myself.  sometimes i'll do strength training.  i even made flash-cards with exercises from magazines to help me, because i don't want to just be skinny.  i want to be toned too.

                                                     a post-workout photo:

i keep track of my gym time by placing a sticker on my calendar every time i work out.  juvenile?  perhaps.  helpful?  very.  motivating?  DEFINITELY.  even as an adult, i freaking love stickers.  it's a little reward--yay!  i get to put a sticker on the calendar!  it also allows me to see what my patterns are, which will ultimately allow me to make changes where necessary.  (i realize this is a very teacher-esque thing to do.  whatever.  that's what i am.)

so far, i haven't lost any weight.  but that's okay.  i just feel better about myself knowing that i'm working towards change.  and change takes time.  some things are already easier to do, and that's enough for me.  for now.  :)

 

1 comment:

  1. 3 week diet is a simple and quick weight loss and dietary plan for all those people who are really serious about losing their stubborn fat through little changes in their daily diet . in 3 week diet guide, brain flat has mentioned about weight loss tips clearly in detail . the first phase of 3 week diet plan is ment for those people who wish to get rid of the stubborn body fat and quickly .benefits of 1. best value for money $47 . easy to follow simple methods . 3. provides fast results .4. suitable for both men and women of any age 5. uses scientifically proven techniques 6. comes with 60 days money back guarantee.
    how to lose weight fast

    ReplyDelete